Lakeside guests often comment on the feeling that they are "stepping back in time" within the gates. For some, its the quaint feel of the cottages - for others its our time-honored traditions. But when LHS staff asked visitors this summer what they thought would be most different when going back in time, nearly all responded by pointing to their shorts and t-shirts. It is true, fashions have changed drastically since the first days in Lakeside. In reading through our newspaper collection this fall, LHS stumbled on an interesting piece of evidence that, even in early Lakeside, fashion sometimes bent the conventional rules of morality.
Published by the Sandusky Register on September 21, 1912:
Lakeside Doesn't Like Rap Methodist Clergymen Dealt
Hands Back "Not Guilty" Plea to Charge That Women's Dress Has Demoralized Her - Former Sandusky Ministers Discuss Hobble Skirt
"Special to The Register.
LAKESIDE, O. Sept. 21, 1912-
That Lakeside is the same old Lakeside, not one bit worse than she was ten or twenty years ago, and that critics are those who are so far behind the times that they find it hard to accustom themselves to modern modes and mannerisms. Lakeside's answer to the charge that she is 'fast.'
Twenty years ago women came to Lakeside wearing bustles and men, decked out in velvet-collared coats and snowy white cravats. If these women or their descendants come now in hobble skirts or any of the other things that 'style' may decree, surely it is not Lakeside's fault.
It would be Lakeside's fault, however, were she to forget her dignity to such an extent that she would endure the presence of women who were not ladies and men who were not gentlemen, and to this charge she pleads 'not guilty.'
The automobile is called the 'devil wagon' by some, as was the violin the 'devils instrument' not so many years ago. There always has been and always will be some people who are 'behind the times.'
Hobble skirts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobble_skirt
"The foregoing was prompted by residents of Lakeside after reader statements in the Cleveland papers Saturday, to the effect that Rev. V. D. Jones, octogenarian and retired Methodist minister, residing in Cardington, O. fled last summer from alleged immodest dress of women at Lakeside.
'I couldn't stand it there,' said Rev. Jones, addressing ministers of the Northeastern Ohio Conference at Cleveland. 'Women ran around with their whole arms showing and only a little strap over the shoulders to hold their waists. I would dislike to say how much of them was naked. There is no doubt but what the increase in white slavery is partially due to immoral dress. Young girls following prevailing style make moral lepers of timid men, who become bold, and they are dragged by them into a life of harlotry.'
'It isn't what you see that arouses your lust, but what is scantily covered,' said Dr. William F. Street, of Canton, O. convert of Billy Sunday. 'Women are directly responsible for mashing. No woman who dresses modestly and conducts herself modestly need fear being annoyed. If women could be induced to abandon the present style of dress most mashers would disappear from our streets.'
"Further comment on the question of women's dress, was according to Saturday's Cleveland papers as follows:
Rev. E.S. Tompkins, of Fairfield, O., president of the board of stewards, would ''make women put something on.'
'I don't care how richly they are dressed, just so they dressed.'
Rev. V.D. Jones of Cardington would have women dress to cover their whole body from head to feet. 'If they would only dress to cover their whole body and then put some more dress over that there would be less white slavery, fewer girls seduced, and few mashers everywhere,' he said.
Rev. J.L. Boyer of Collinwood was apparently the most disgusted over prevailing fashions. 'They should tar the broad expanse of nude back displayed by most women,' asserted Rev. Boyer.
Rev. H.V. Givler of Franklin Avenue M.E. Church, Cleveland, to his congregation Sunday said: 'We are not surprised to go on Euclid Avenue and find bad girls dressed according to their life, but we are mortified and ashamed to see women, about whose good morals and intention there is no question, in dress conforming to those worn by moral lepers.'"
For more on "mashing" visit: https://blog.oup.com/2011/01/masher/
Written by David Boling; Edited by Dakota Harkins.
Historic Lakeside performers highlighted onAmerican Experience tonight on PBS.
Lakeside has hosted hundreds of talented performers, orators and preachers during its summer Campmeeting and Chautauqua seasons.
As part of the first fifty years of Arts and Culture programming, a number of "jubilee" singing groups graced the Central Auditorium stage. The predominantly African American a cappella singing groups were known around the world for defying the typical "minstrel" style of the Reconstruction Era.
One particular group, the Fisk Jubilee Singers, began singing in small southern towns and wound up performing for the royal courts of Europe.
The first group of Fisk College Jubilee Singers organized in 1871 to tour and raise funds for Fisk College in Tennessee. Their early repertoire consisted of traditional spirituals, but included some songs by Stephen Foster. The original group toured along the path of the Underground Railroad in the United States.
Visit their website at http://fiskjubileesingers.org/about-the-singers/our-history/ to find out more.
The Fisk College Singers serenaded Lakeside audiences on three separate occasions- in 1891, 1897 and 1921. After their second performance, The Bucyrus Evening Telegraph on July 31, 1897 noted:
'The last attraction at the auditorium has been the Fisk[e] Jubilee singers. These have been a drawing cards as upon the first evening over two thousand were gathered in the tabernacle to hear them, their music is most excellent. They have some entirely new numbers, and their soprano singer has adopted Queen Lil's method of dressing her hair. This last statement however must be seen to be appreciated.'
Source: Newspapers .com
The history of the Singers will be featured on the PBS series, American Experience this evening, November 19.
For more information, visit: www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/singers/
Take a look at the Lakeside "Front Porch" blog this week to read an article by LHS manager, Dakota Harkins. Click the link below to visit the site.
By: Dave Boling
Sometime this past summer I read in the Lakesider there would be a telescope available in the park that night and all were invited to stop by and view the stars. It reminded me of something I had read one time at the Heritage Hall Archives.
His name was Rev. Dr. Ephraim Llewellyn Eaton, he went by his initials, E. L. E. L. was a preacher, a singer, author, prohibition advocate and astronomer. Described as a “gifted speaker with a rich, clear voice, an abundance of humor who knows how to tell a story.” He was a Lakeside speaker in July 1894, '95 and '96. His lectures were a blend of theology and science. As reported in the Lakeside Daily News, E. L. began his 1896 lecture by saying that he had brought his telescope - described as an equatorially mounted 4 and 1/2 inch Clark telescope driven by sidereal clock - with him and invited everybody to “come and look at the at the planet Saturn and its rings.”
Dr. Eaton saw the study of Astronomy as an antidote for many theological errors. He promoted his lecture as “God’s Glorious Universe or a stroll through the Milky Way.” Using lantern slides of celestial objects such as the sun, moon, planets, stars and comets he taught ‘‘The Bible and Astronomy teaches things alike. There is one God and Astronomy teaches the same truth by showing that the same laws work throughout the universe.’’ He would lead his audience through examples where science had proven the allusions in the Bible.
Ephraim Llewellyn Eaton was one of the largest draws on the Chautauqua Circuit. He also pastored churches in Iowa, Illinois, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. E. L. died in Madison, Wisconsin at the age of 85 he had been a Methodist clergyman for 47 years connecting the mysteries of the universe to the glories of God and teaching his audiences how to hold them both. He added to chautauqua experience that left people gazing upward to the stars.
The Lakeside Daily News, July 30, 1896
Researched and written by David Glick
It was 1954. As a young "full-summer Lakesider" we are standing in front of the 1905 fire station, thinking about helping to tear it down to begin construction on the new building - which remains today on Second Street as the Lakeside Laundromat. "Full-summer Lakesiders'" knew most of the "Locals," as these were the men and women who taught in the local schools, waited on you in the stores and restaurants, painted your cottages, and kept the village alive during its ten-month "off-season." While "Summer People" tended to come and go from one year to the next, the Locals - like the dock - were sure to be there when the new season beckoned.
An elderly "local," Frank Baldwin, walked up to us at the fire station and began to tell us a wide range of stories about the seven General Managers he had lived under in Lakeside. We were especially interested in Mr. Baldwin's unflattering memories of the reign of Rev. C. W. Taneyhill, who left town 50 years earlier.
Was Mr. Baldwin a typical local or someone with a rusty, fifty-year-old ax to grind?
We decided to see what we could learn about the elderly gent. The lakeside Heritage Archive provided a wealth of information on Frank Baldwin. He was born c. 1882 in Alexandria Bay, New York. In 1902, he and a brother, Ford Baldwin, came to the Peninsula to operate the former St. Marie and Ward Grocery store in a small frame building on the site of the present Starcher Enterprises building in western Marblehead. What brought them to Marblehead remains a mystery, but, like so many other locals, it provided a direct link between Lakeside and Marblehead merchants.
In 1905, the Baldwin brothers left their Marblehead business. There is no record of where Ford went, but Frank came to Lakeside to join the Carroll Brothers, who were occupying a brand new cement block general store, where Sloopy's Sports Cafe is housed today. The building had replaced a wooden store that had been destroyed on the same corner by the big fire of February 2 of that year.
Was it romance that brought Frank to Lakeside? On March 26 of 1906, after merely a few months at the Carroll store, he married his bosses' widowed sister, Mary Jane Capes. She was one of five Carroll sisters. In 1894, Mary Jane had married Albert L. Capes, who had worked for Kelly Island Lime & Transport Company. They were blessed with two children: Carroll A. in 1895 and Helen A. in 1896. But Albert Capes suddenly passed in 1900. So by 1906, twenty-four year old Frank Baldwin was a stepfather of two and an extended member and employee of the Carroll family - a true Lakeside Local.
A brief summary of some of the events of Frank's Lakeside years:
His twenty-five year old stepdaughter, Helen (a Danbury High School graduate) lost her battle with tuberculosis. Around this time, Frank left the Carroll Brothers Store after 16 years of employment and became the local agent for the Prudential Insurance Company.
He built and occupied the fine cottage that remains at 203 Lynn Avenue.
He was one of eighteen Locals admitted to membership in the Lakeside Volunteer Fire Protective Association, the first new group of men admitted since 1905.
His wife of thirty years, Mary Jane, passed at the age of 59.
He moved across Second Street to 185 Lynn as a boarder in the home of Jennie Mapes, who had become a widow earlier that year after her husband, Earl Orlo Mapes died. He spent the next nineteen years as her boarder, an arrangement quite common before retirement homes were widely accessible.
He sold 203 Lynn Ave. to another Local, Leroy "Roy" Luebcke, who was Lakeside Superintendent of Grounds.
His stepson, Carroll, died at age 54.
May 24, 1956
Frank Edwin Baldwin, aged 73, died in Magruder Hospital after an extended illness. Appropriately, his funeral services were conducted by Lakeside's General Manager, Dr. Herbert Thompson. He was survived by his brother and former partner in the Marblehead store, Ford Baldwin of Oberlin, Ohio.
Thus Frank Baldwin was a fairly typical Lakeside Local - having close relationships with fellow winter residents, owning a home on leased land under seven general managers whom he had no vote in electing. But he did his part in making a Chautauqua resort a real community, serving his fellow Locals, as well as the Summer People in a number of ways, including protecting the village and its surroundings from fire. Could it be that while the vast majority of Independent Chautauquas disappeared, Lakeside survived, at least partly because Locals like Frank Baldwin kept it alive?