Written by Evan Engelhart
Looking for a new read to get you through these cold winter months? Check out The Light and Life of Lakeside-on-Lake Erie: 1923-1948, written by John Harding Butler. Published by the Lakeside Association, Light and Life was dedicated to the “Founders and Builders of Lakeside-on-Lake Erie. It celebrates Lakeside’s Diamond Jubilee 75th year and contains a “brief historical account of the programs and events of the past twenty-five years in the light of the previous half century.”
Some highlights from the book include Lakeside’s recreation and sports, parks and gardens, transportation and communication during those 25 years, as well as a brief history of the General Managers, organizations, and buildings that inhibited Lakeside. Butler delves into the story of the religion and Methodism that helped shape and build the Lakeside community. Butler even takes a chance on what he thinks Lakeside’s expansion and future would look like in his chapter, Lakeside Tomorrow. Did he get it right? Come grab a copy and find out for yourself!
John Harding Butler’s The Light and Life of Lakeside-on-Lake Erie: 1923-1948 can be found can be purchased from our online store at lakesideheritagesociety.org, or in the Lakeside Heritage Society museum store located on the corner of East 3rd and Maple Street, open during season Tuesdays-Sunday. Contact Evan Engelhart at email@example.com for more information.
Also on sale in our store, is Eleanor Durr’s Lakeside, Ohio: First 100 Years and Lakeside Lore as well as O.L. Shepard’s The Story of Lakeside.
If you were making plans to visit Lakeside a century ago, what could you expect?
By 1920 the organization that began as a Methodist Campmeeting and family resort had blossomed into a large scale summer attraction for a wide variety of groups.
This Lakeside "On Lake Erie" program, found in the LHS Archives, offers a forty page overview of the recreational, religious, cultural and educational events scheduled for the 1920 summer. The cover page highlights the various programs held during each week, including the Chautauqua Assembly, the School of Missions, and the Regional Conference on Temperance.
"Nature was in a happy mood when she fashioned Lakeside and men have wisely seized the opportunity to add to this first great endowment."
"When you come to Lakeside bring your 'good time' clothes and enjoy the recreations."
1920 Assembly Program & Highlights
Below are a few of the many performances, sermons, and lectures offered during the nine week season.
1920 Rules & Regulations
At the start of December, a Lakeside Heritage Society volunteer combing through our library collection stumbled across a small storage bag containing an aged, leather-bound book and a typewritten note. Donated to LHS in the 1980s, the book "Experience and Gospel Labours of the Rev. Benjamin Abbott" had clearly been handed down for many years before finding its way into the Archives.
The Donation Note, which has been included below, offered an incredible overview of the book's heritage. Based on the copyright date, this book is the oldest artifact found in the LHS Archives - printed more than 220 years ago!
For reference, here are a few other events that were happening in 1791, the year "Experience and Gospel Labours of the Rev. Benjamin Abbott" printed:
-Premiere of Mozart's "The Magic Flute"
-Ratification of the U.S. Bill of Rights
-Start of the Haitian Revolution
-The Bank of the U.S. is incorporated in Philadelphia
-Thomas Paine's "Rights of Man" is published
-First steamboat patent approved for John Fitch & James Rumsey
-First French Constitution
"The Experience and Gospel Labours of the Rev. Benjamin Abbott
by John Ffirth
Book was found in the attic of a cottage by John Gdovicak who gave it to John Wonnell for Heritage Hall. It was owned by Elizabeth Bingman, given Apr. 1 1895 to John Bingman (in one place spelled Bingham).
Originally bound in leather, it was mended with a piece of homespun flannel from a skirt worn by the sister of Oliver Cromwell who lived 1599-1659.
Rev. Abbott was born in 1732. His parents both died, and he was apprenticed to a hatter in Philadelphia, and "soon fell into bad company." At age 40 he was converted and began to preach locally.
He joined the Methodists as an itinerant preacher. This was a dangerous thing to do, for the Methodists were persecuted as Tories. He was ordained deacon in 1790, an elder in 1793. His last appointment was in Cecil and Kent Counties, Maryland. He became ill and returned home in May, 1795 and died in 1796.
He had kept a diary, and started to write his experiences. He gave the manuscript to John Ffirth, who added a narrative of Rev. Abbott's life, and closed with a letter by Hugh Smith.
It is difficult to read, because the letter "f" is used instead of "s".
It would be interested to know of the connection of the Bingmans (or Binghams) to Lakeside."
Lakeside guests often comment on the feeling that they are "stepping back in time" within the gates. For some, its the quaint feel of the cottages - for others its our time-honored traditions. But when LHS staff asked visitors this summer what they thought would be most different when going back in time, nearly all responded by pointing to their shorts and t-shirts. It is true, fashions have changed drastically since the first days in Lakeside. In reading through our newspaper collection this fall, LHS stumbled on an interesting piece of evidence that, even in early Lakeside, fashion sometimes bent the conventional rules of morality.
Published by the Sandusky Register on September 21, 1912:
Lakeside Doesn't Like Rap Methodist Clergymen Dealt
Hands Back "Not Guilty" Plea to Charge That Women's Dress Has Demoralized Her - Former Sandusky Ministers Discuss Hobble Skirt
"Special to The Register.
LAKESIDE, O. Sept. 21, 1912-
That Lakeside is the same old Lakeside, not one bit worse than she was ten or twenty years ago, and that critics are those who are so far behind the times that they find it hard to accustom themselves to modern modes and mannerisms. Lakeside's answer to the charge that she is 'fast.'
Twenty years ago women came to Lakeside wearing bustles and men, decked out in velvet-collared coats and snowy white cravats. If these women or their descendants come now in hobble skirts or any of the other things that 'style' may decree, surely it is not Lakeside's fault.
It would be Lakeside's fault, however, were she to forget her dignity to such an extent that she would endure the presence of women who were not ladies and men who were not gentlemen, and to this charge she pleads 'not guilty.'
The automobile is called the 'devil wagon' by some, as was the violin the 'devils instrument' not so many years ago. There always has been and always will be some people who are 'behind the times.'
Hobble skirts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobble_skirt
"The foregoing was prompted by residents of Lakeside after reader statements in the Cleveland papers Saturday, to the effect that Rev. V. D. Jones, octogenarian and retired Methodist minister, residing in Cardington, O. fled last summer from alleged immodest dress of women at Lakeside.
'I couldn't stand it there,' said Rev. Jones, addressing ministers of the Northeastern Ohio Conference at Cleveland. 'Women ran around with their whole arms showing and only a little strap over the shoulders to hold their waists. I would dislike to say how much of them was naked. There is no doubt but what the increase in white slavery is partially due to immoral dress. Young girls following prevailing style make moral lepers of timid men, who become bold, and they are dragged by them into a life of harlotry.'
'It isn't what you see that arouses your lust, but what is scantily covered,' said Dr. William F. Street, of Canton, O. convert of Billy Sunday. 'Women are directly responsible for mashing. No woman who dresses modestly and conducts herself modestly need fear being annoyed. If women could be induced to abandon the present style of dress most mashers would disappear from our streets.'
"Further comment on the question of women's dress, was according to Saturday's Cleveland papers as follows:
Rev. E.S. Tompkins, of Fairfield, O., president of the board of stewards, would ''make women put something on.'
'I don't care how richly they are dressed, just so they dressed.'
Rev. V.D. Jones of Cardington would have women dress to cover their whole body from head to feet. 'If they would only dress to cover their whole body and then put some more dress over that there would be less white slavery, fewer girls seduced, and few mashers everywhere,' he said.
Rev. J.L. Boyer of Collinwood was apparently the most disgusted over prevailing fashions. 'They should tar the broad expanse of nude back displayed by most women,' asserted Rev. Boyer.
Rev. H.V. Givler of Franklin Avenue M.E. Church, Cleveland, to his congregation Sunday said: 'We are not surprised to go on Euclid Avenue and find bad girls dressed according to their life, but we are mortified and ashamed to see women, about whose good morals and intention there is no question, in dress conforming to those worn by moral lepers.'"
For more on "mashing" visit: https://blog.oup.com/2011/01/masher/
Written by David Boling; Edited by Dakota Harkins.
Historic Lakeside performers highlighted onAmerican Experience tonight on PBS.
Lakeside has hosted hundreds of talented performers, orators and preachers during its summer Campmeeting and Chautauqua seasons.
As part of the first fifty years of Arts and Culture programming, a number of "jubilee" singing groups graced the Central Auditorium stage. The predominantly African American a cappella singing groups were known around the world for defying the typical "minstrel" style of the Reconstruction Era.
One particular group, the Fisk Jubilee Singers, began singing in small southern towns and wound up performing for the royal courts of Europe.
The first group of Fisk College Jubilee Singers organized in 1871 to tour and raise funds for Fisk College in Tennessee. Their early repertoire consisted of traditional spirituals, but included some songs by Stephen Foster. The original group toured along the path of the Underground Railroad in the United States.
Visit their website at http://fiskjubileesingers.org/about-the-singers/our-history/ to find out more.
The Fisk College Singers serenaded Lakeside audiences on three separate occasions- in 1891, 1897 and 1921. After their second performance, The Bucyrus Evening Telegraph on July 31, 1897 noted:
'The last attraction at the auditorium has been the Fisk[e] Jubilee singers. These have been a drawing cards as upon the first evening over two thousand were gathered in the tabernacle to hear them, their music is most excellent. They have some entirely new numbers, and their soprano singer has adopted Queen Lil's method of dressing her hair. This last statement however must be seen to be appreciated.'
Source: Newspapers .com
The history of the Singers will be featured on the PBS series, American Experience this evening, November 19.
For more information, visit: www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/singers/