Written by David Boling; Edited by Dakota Harkins.
Historic Lakeside performers highlighted onAmerican Experience tonight on PBS.
Lakeside has hosted hundreds of talented performers, orators and preachers during its summer Campmeeting and Chautauqua seasons.
As part of the first fifty years of Arts and Culture programming, a number of "jubilee" singing groups graced the Central Auditorium stage. The predominantly African American a cappella singing groups were known around the world for defying the typical "minstrel" style of the Reconstruction Era.
One particular group, the Fisk Jubilee Singers, began singing in small southern towns and wound up performing for the royal courts of Europe.
The first group of Fisk College Jubilee Singers organized in 1871 to tour and raise funds for Fisk College in Tennessee. Their early repertoire consisted of traditional spirituals, but included some songs by Stephen Foster. The original group toured along the path of the Underground Railroad in the United States.
Visit their website at http://fiskjubileesingers.org/about-the-singers/our-history/ to find out more.
The Fisk College Singers serenaded Lakeside audiences on three separate occasions- in 1891, 1897 and 1921. After their second performance, The Bucyrus Evening Telegraph on July 31, 1897 noted:
'The last attraction at the auditorium has been the Fisk[e] Jubilee singers. These have been a drawing cards as upon the first evening over two thousand were gathered in the tabernacle to hear them, their music is most excellent. They have some entirely new numbers, and their soprano singer has adopted Queen Lil's method of dressing her hair. This last statement however must be seen to be appreciated.'
Source: Newspapers .com
The history of the Singers will be featured on the PBS series, American Experience this evening, November 19.
For more information, visit: www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/singers/
Take a look at the Lakeside "Front Porch" blog this week to read an article by LHS manager, Dakota Harkins. Click the link below to visit the site.
By: Dave Boling
Sometime this past summer I read in the Lakesider there would be a telescope available in the park that night and all were invited to stop by and view the stars. It reminded me of something I had read one time at the Heritage Hall Archives.
His name was Rev. Dr. Ephraim Llewellyn Eaton, he went by his initials, E. L. E. L. was a preacher, a singer, author, prohibition advocate and astronomer. Described as a “gifted speaker with a rich, clear voice, an abundance of humor who knows how to tell a story.” He was a Lakeside speaker in July 1894, '95 and '96. His lectures were a blend of theology and science. As reported in the Lakeside Daily News, E. L. began his 1896 lecture by saying that he had brought his telescope - described as an equatorially mounted 4 and 1/2 inch Clark telescope driven by sidereal clock - with him and invited everybody to “come and look at the at the planet Saturn and its rings.”
Dr. Eaton saw the study of Astronomy as an antidote for many theological errors. He promoted his lecture as “God’s Glorious Universe or a stroll through the Milky Way.” Using lantern slides of celestial objects such as the sun, moon, planets, stars and comets he taught ‘‘The Bible and Astronomy teaches things alike. There is one God and Astronomy teaches the same truth by showing that the same laws work throughout the universe.’’ He would lead his audience through examples where science had proven the allusions in the Bible.
Ephraim Llewellyn Eaton was one of the largest draws on the Chautauqua Circuit. He also pastored churches in Iowa, Illinois, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. E. L. died in Madison, Wisconsin at the age of 85 he had been a Methodist clergyman for 47 years connecting the mysteries of the universe to the glories of God and teaching his audiences how to hold them both. He added to chautauqua experience that left people gazing upward to the stars.
The Lakeside Daily News, July 30, 1896
Researched and written by David Glick
It was 1954. As a young "full-summer Lakesider" we are standing in front of the 1905 fire station, thinking about helping to tear it down to begin construction on the new building - which remains today on Second Street as the Lakeside Laundromat. "Full-summer Lakesiders'" knew most of the "Locals," as these were the men and women who taught in the local schools, waited on you in the stores and restaurants, painted your cottages, and kept the village alive during its ten-month "off-season." While "Summer People" tended to come and go from one year to the next, the Locals - like the dock - were sure to be there when the new season beckoned.
An elderly "local," Frank Baldwin, walked up to us at the fire station and began to tell us a wide range of stories about the seven General Managers he had lived under in Lakeside. We were especially interested in Mr. Baldwin's unflattering memories of the reign of Rev. C. W. Taneyhill, who left town 50 years earlier.
Was Mr. Baldwin a typical local or someone with a rusty, fifty-year-old ax to grind?
We decided to see what we could learn about the elderly gent. The lakeside Heritage Archive provided a wealth of information on Frank Baldwin. He was born c. 1882 in Alexandria Bay, New York. In 1902, he and a brother, Ford Baldwin, came to the Peninsula to operate the former St. Marie and Ward Grocery store in a small frame building on the site of the present Starcher Enterprises building in western Marblehead. What brought them to Marblehead remains a mystery, but, like so many other locals, it provided a direct link between Lakeside and Marblehead merchants.
In 1905, the Baldwin brothers left their Marblehead business. There is no record of where Ford went, but Frank came to Lakeside to join the Carroll Brothers, who were occupying a brand new cement block general store, where Sloopy's Sports Cafe is housed today. The building had replaced a wooden store that had been destroyed on the same corner by the big fire of February 2 of that year.
Was it romance that brought Frank to Lakeside? On March 26 of 1906, after merely a few months at the Carroll store, he married his bosses' widowed sister, Mary Jane Capes. She was one of five Carroll sisters. In 1894, Mary Jane had married Albert L. Capes, who had worked for Kelly Island Lime & Transport Company. They were blessed with two children: Carroll A. in 1895 and Helen A. in 1896. But Albert Capes suddenly passed in 1900. So by 1906, twenty-four year old Frank Baldwin was a stepfather of two and an extended member and employee of the Carroll family - a true Lakeside Local.
A brief summary of some of the events of Frank's Lakeside years:
His twenty-five year old stepdaughter, Helen (a Danbury High School graduate) lost her battle with tuberculosis. Around this time, Frank left the Carroll Brothers Store after 16 years of employment and became the local agent for the Prudential Insurance Company.
He built and occupied the fine cottage that remains at 203 Lynn Avenue.
He was one of eighteen Locals admitted to membership in the Lakeside Volunteer Fire Protective Association, the first new group of men admitted since 1905.
His wife of thirty years, Mary Jane, passed at the age of 59.
He moved across Second Street to 185 Lynn as a boarder in the home of Jennie Mapes, who had become a widow earlier that year after her husband, Earl Orlo Mapes died. He spent the next nineteen years as her boarder, an arrangement quite common before retirement homes were widely accessible.
He sold 203 Lynn Ave. to another Local, Leroy "Roy" Luebcke, who was Lakeside Superintendent of Grounds.
His stepson, Carroll, died at age 54.
May 24, 1956
Frank Edwin Baldwin, aged 73, died in Magruder Hospital after an extended illness. Appropriately, his funeral services were conducted by Lakeside's General Manager, Dr. Herbert Thompson. He was survived by his brother and former partner in the Marblehead store, Ford Baldwin of Oberlin, Ohio.
Thus Frank Baldwin was a fairly typical Lakeside Local - having close relationships with fellow winter residents, owning a home on leased land under seven general managers whom he had no vote in electing. But he did his part in making a Chautauqua resort a real community, serving his fellow Locals, as well as the Summer People in a number of ways, including protecting the village and its surroundings from fire. Could it be that while the vast majority of Independent Chautauquas disappeared, Lakeside survived, at least partly because Locals like Frank Baldwin kept it alive?
The 2019 season brought with it the 20th anniversary of the beloved Rhein Center for the Living Arts. The building itself - Epworth Lodge - also celebrated its 100th anniversary as an influential Lakeside structure. Construction on Epworth Lodge began in 1918 with funding from the Ohio State Epworth League Institute, known as Lakeside Institute. The building acted as the official administrative and dining hall for the Lakeside Institute, a group responsible for bringing thousands of youth to Lakeside over the course of the next century.
The Epworth League
The Epworth League developed as a Methodist youth association at the Central Methodist Church in Cleveland on May 15, 1885. While other young adult organizations had existed previously in the Methodist Episcopal church, the League effectively merged multiple constitutions into six focused departments: Spiritual Life, Social Work, Literary Work, Correspondence, Mercy and Help, and Finance. The consolidated program adopted the Young People’s Christian League motto - “Look Up, Lift Up” - and spread to nearly two million members in 19,500 chapters worldwide by the turn of the 19th century.
Born out of discussions at the 1914 International Epworth League Convention, the Ohio State Epworth League first met at Lakeside in 1915. The Epworth League commenced that opening “Lakeside Institute” on August 10th with an early afternoon reception at German Auditorium. One hundred and twenty five delegates spent their days in training for Christian service and their downtime enjoying camp fires, boat rides and splash parties. Total cost of attendance was roughly $10, including tickets, travel and food.
The bulk of the programming for the 1915 Institute - as well as for the next 4 summers - took place in Central Auditorium, German (now South) Auditorium, Bradley Temple, and the Brick Church on Fifth Street. By 1917, attendance had shot beyond 500, and plans were in motion to build headquarters for the Institute.
Featured in the diary are entries describing the scene at Ohio State Epworth League and Lakeside Institute from 1913 to 1921, including artifacts such as the registration card shown below.
A brochure for the Second Annual Ohio State Epworth League Institute, found glued into Ms. Pocock's book, offered this motivation for readers to spend the week at Lakeside:
Because, Epworth Leaguer-
You need a vacation.
You need a vacation in an ideal spot.
You need new enthusiasm for your next year's work.
You need more knowledge of how to do the work you want to do.
You need the inspiration and comradeship of other Epworth Leaguers.
You will find them all at THE LAKESIDE INSTITUTE!"
Stop by the LHS Archives to take a look at the diary and read hundreds of stories about those nine years of Epworth League activity.
The Epworth League evolved into the Methodist Youth Fellowship as a response to denominational mergers in the 1930s. It then was rejuvenated in 1994 as the United Methodist Youth Fellowship. To learn more about MYF and Lakeside Institute, contact us at email@example.com,