On Sunday morning, October 20, 1929, the shrill sound of the Lakeside fire alarm pierced the air. By the end of the day, the Methodist Church, the Printing Shop and 26 cottages from Walnut to Central Avenues between 4th and 5th Streets were gone. Using historic photographs, Dale reviews how the fire started, how it progressed, how the weather influenced its path of destruction, the efforts to control the blaze and the fire’s aftermath.
Phil Dale is a Lieutenant/EMTB with the Bedford Township Fire Department in Temperance, MI, serving since 2001. He also served as a pastor to seniors at Boulevard Christian Church in Sylvania OH from 1995 to 2009. Phil and his wife Kathy have been married for 48 years. They reside in Lambertville, MI, and have owned a unit at the Historic Richards House (aka “Same Time Next Year”) for 12 years.